Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Halloween: Heavy, Hilarity

Sunday, October 31: Devin Townsend, TesseracT @ The Webster, Hartford


My must-see event for the weekend is Devin Townsend at the Webster on Sunday, which is Halloween, but I think I'm a little old for trick or treats. For those who don't know, Devy (we're on an affectionate nicknames basis) is a Canadian musician who got his start at a very young age singing and playing with Steve Vai, but proved to be his own damn freak time and again over the course of a musically schizoid, ADHD career as a bandleader/solo artist in the years since. He's beloved by both the prog and metal scenes for his wildly different projects, and also for his outrageous between-song banter (sheesh, I wish I could remember any of it, but I'm sure our commenter Toast? can help me out here with some best of Devy). He's extra beloved by me personally for always being a really nice, indulgent guy to me and my stalk-y friends. So we were extra sad when he quit touring for a while, and are extra happy now that he's spewing out new music faster than the Duggars spawn out kids and has been hitting the road again on the regs. "Vampira" is an oldie but goodie, but it's all you need to know about why Devin Townsend is wonderful:



I'm also excited about opening band TesseracT, who are not as openly hilarious as Devin sometimes is, but have also won me over with their stealthy humor, which is snuck in around the edges of their otherwise straightforward proggy metal music. (A straight gloom-and-doom image on a heavy band is kind of a dealbreaker for me. I mean, if you're so serious, go kill people or something, quit having so much fun.) While "researching" TesseracT (to find out if they're sexy) I was amused by the subtitle on the photo section of their website, which says "perve over us" Exactly! And this video for alarmingly pretentiously titled "Deception, Concealing Fate Part 2" on the band's channel is tagged "Vanilla Ice" and "Linkin Park" - only! Hilarious! TesseracT don't know it yet, but they are actually my soon-to-be, out-of-town, international boyfriends.


1 comment:

  1. I toads could help out but you ducked early and I subsequently have zero pictures of me ruining the big moment where Mark and Dev jammed together for the last time on this tour by flicking the former in the face with hand knit bunny ears.

    ReplyDelete