Monday, July 5, 2010

One of my favorite bands: Titus Andronicus!

Saturday, July 10: Titus Andronicus @ Toad's Place (Lily's Pad), New Haven


A few months back, the last time they played, I said all the nice things I wanted to say about Titus Andronicus. I'm happy to see them returning to CT - they must have more fans than just me and that one hyperactive guy from karaoke. In case you were too lazy to read the link, I talked about how TA plays punk with some indie rock influences - their catchy, jangly riffs remind me of the Clash, while the frantic, emotional diarrhea vocals of Patrick Stickles remind me of Bright Eyes (sure hope that sounded as much like a complement as I meant it!). And how their name, lyrics and titles are a mixed bag of cultural references ranging in brow from high to low. Their latest album, The Monitor, which my favorite publication gave its enthusiastic approval, ostensibly has a Civil War "concept" to it, but continues in the personal grievance-airing, New Jersey referencing vein of the previous record (titled, appropriately enough, The Airing of the Grievances).

Check out this rather awesome video for "A More Perfect Union" from The Monitor:



Surprise, surprise, this show is another Manic Productions production. Check out their great calendar of events.

No comments:

Post a Comment