Tuesday, October 5, 2010

All we do is blog about yoga now (wk. 4, who's counting?)

But what would you expect, with two out of three Scenics going to class religiously [internal memo: time to man up, Jackie]. Just when I thought I was making progress last week, this week I've ended up feeling ouchie in my legs and having to regress a little on a few postures. How demoralizing! But overall, I'm learning how to pace myself at Bikram - you don't want to kill yourself at the beginning of 90 minutes and have nothing left as the class goes on, or focus too much on one difficult posture only to lose your shit in the next. At least that's my take on it. My trial membership is drawing to a close. I've really maximized it for myself, and if you are inclined to do the math, I've been enjoying classes for a little more than a dollar apiece (yeah, I took a couple days of the month off). But I've been effectively hooked. It's time to join up. As appealing as Gabriel's more spiritual yoga from last week was, right now I just want the consistent, predictable physical workout of Bikram. But maybe I can drop in once in a while. That's what open classes are for.


And speaking of... Last week I mentioned that ballet hipster Amy participated in Gabriel's class. Well, she's a yoga hipster too, and you can take classes with Amy. Catch her at Ballet Theater Company Tuesdays at 10 a.m. and Wednesdays at 6 p.m., or at Elmwood Community Center at 6 p.m. Be warned: she is a human pretzel and will make your tight, creaky ass feel way inadequate.

1 comment:

  1. What about Ashtanga Seria A Scenic? Super workout - no need for a sauna. I mean, check out people like Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, at 93 he was still going at it. I don't know about this Bikram thing. I'v done it, and it helps you feel like you have done some crazy workout, and the hit does help you get to angles you would never get to, especially as a beginner, but I'm not sure it is a good thing, you know? I just can't imagine 80 years old doing that, and if they can't maybe it is something I should think twice about. But hey, You are hooked allready, so what am I talkin about?? :)
    Much success, and keep on writing
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete